Primal Beauty: 101

22 Jul

In a package this pretty, how could it be bad?

When it comes to skincare, makeup, shampoo, conditioner, styling stuff, lip balm, nail polish, cologne, body wash, and whatever else a chic sophisticate might cram in her medicine chest, I’m forced to admit that I’m a little bit of a product junkie.  Of course, I come by it naturally – to this day, if you open the cabinet under my mother’s sink, about twenty different half-used shampoo bottles will tumble out and land at your feet.  I’ve found my Christmas stocking packed full of Bonne Bell LipSmacker sets for more years than I can remember.  And when I moved to Los Angeles, I was thrilled beyond belief with the knowledge that there were actual brick & mortar Sephora stores that I could go to – whenever I wanted!  Of course, one opened back home immediately after I moved, but that’s not the point.

The point is that for years I’ve been lathering and slathering myself with every overpriced, artificially perfumed, chemical concoction I could get my hands on.  And then I went Primal and something clicked.  If I’m being so careful with what I feed my body, why am I being so careless with what I put on it?  And so began my quest to purge all the crap from my beauty routine.

Bye-bye, 'smackers.

Now, I would love to go through my bathroom with a garbage bag (the same way I cleaned out my kitchen) and in one sweep, throw away all my makeup, soaps, creams, hair products, and everything else that doesn’t pass the test.  I could just tip the cabinet so that everything topples out into the trash.  It would be a win-win for me… No more parabens, phthalates, and other unpronounceables leaching into my system AND I’d get to go on a mega-shopping trip for all new products!  Who cares if it’s at Sephora or Whole Foods, as long as I get to buy stuff?  In practice, sadly, this overhaul is happening a little more slowly than I’d like, being that I can’t afford to replace everything in my beauty arsenal at once.  And then there are those favorites that I can’t help but cling to… Can I still use that citrusy hand lotion I adore?  What is sorbitan isostearate, and more importantly, does it mean I’m supposed to throw out all those gorgeous tubes of Laura Mercier lipgloss?!

Even after starting the hunt for a natural alternative to replace an old favorite, there’s the trial and error thing;  Not every product is right for every person, so there’s some testing involved in finding what works for you.  And to give a new product a sporting chance, you have to use it a few days, maybe a week.  Patience.  Not my favorite virtue.

Giving the latest skincare routine a whirl.

So if I’m essentially going to be experimenting on myself anyway, why not document my little human guinea pig project and share my findings?  Right now I’m on a serious shampoo and conditioner mission: With long, straight hair that can be dry but easily weighed down by heavy moisturizers, I have my work cut out for me.  Until that verdict is in, I’ll share the all-natural body care stuff I’m currently obsessed with, including my new favorite facial secret and the absolutely amazing natural deodorant I just discovered.  In the meantime, I’ll be building a shampoo collection that’ll make my mama proud.

How about you?  What are your favorite organic beauty products?  Anything you’ve been wanting to try, but haven’t gotten around to yet?  Or do you have a conventional beauty item you could never give up, no matter what’s in it?

9 Responses to “Primal Beauty: 101”

1. Thom July 22, 2011 at 8:39 pm #

I use John Frieda travel sized bottles from WalGreens. The shampoo is amazing, since I have coarse wild hair. It tames it and makes it manageable. I may have to spring for the full size soon.

2. organicgirl July 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

I use John Masters shampoo and conditioners. Available at Whole Foods. Pricey, but a little product goes a long way. Both are organic, and have none of the bad stuff in them. A good resource for products is the cosmetic database:http://theprimalsophisticate.com/2011/07/22/primal-beauty-101-2/. Another great place for product reviews is this blog: http://nomoredirtylooks.com/.

3. theprimalsophisticate July 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm #

Thom, your hair always looks luxuriously full, so it must be working for you! ;)

4. theprimalsophisticate July 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Hey organicgirl! I actually saw the John Masters line of stuff in Whole Foods the other day. I’ve heard good things about it… Maybe it’ll be the next one I try. And I love the No More Dirty Looks site too. Great resource for natural products to try. Thanks for reading & I hope you keep coming back! :)

5. kristin :) August 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm #

Shannon!! Original Sprout has some good products! Haven’t tried all of it but what I have, has been fab!

xo

• theprimalsophisticate August 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

Kristin!! Is it strange that with the exclamation points I could actually hear your voice in my head? ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check em out ~ and thanks for reading too!

6. Krista August 5, 2011 at 6:55 am #

This is a Great Blog! (Following). I have recently fallen in love with Renpure Organics I Love My Hair! Body and Shine Shampoo & Conditioner. They smell amazing and my hair feels like silk after. :)

• theprimalsophisticate August 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

Thanks so much for reading! I haven’t seen that shampoo, but it sounds awesome. The one I’m trying now (forgotten the name, but I’ll review it at some point!) smells great, but it’s so thin & runny that I lose half of what I pour in my hand down the drain! The search continues… :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Primal Beauty: My Lips Are Vegan? « The Primal Sophisticate - August 2, 2011

[...] hinted in the past about my addiction to lip balm.  And I feel that it’s time to come completely clean. I can’t do without the stuff for [...]